Academic Requirements for Fall 2017 Admissions
A minimum of 18 years of education is required for applying to the PhD Programme in Computer Science. Applicants are expected to have obtained their Master’s degree (MS or MPhil) from national or foreign institutions that are accredited or recognized by the Higher Education Commission (HEC) of Pakistan.
Applicants applying for the PhD Programme in Computer Science must have a Master’s degree in any one of the following areas:
- Computer Science
- Software Engineering
- Information Technology
- Other closely related disciplines
As minimum academic performance, all applicants must have obtained a CGPA of at least 3.0 (on a scale of 4) or First Division (in the annual system) in their Master’s degree and at least a CGPA of 2.4 (on a scale of 4) or 60% marks in Bachelor’s degree. Applicants obtaining 2-years B.Sc. degree and 2-years M.Sc. degree must have secured at least 60% marks in both degrees). In addition, applicants must have secure at least 60% marks in their F.Sc. exam. A-level students must have at least 65% marks on IBCC equivalence scale with at most 1 D grade.
An Applicant obtaining Master’s degree with CGPA computed over any scale other than 4.0 will be required to submit a letter/revised transcript from the respective university stating his/her CGPA on the scale of 4.0 OR submit a letter from HEC stating that the applicant meets the CGPA requirement for PhD admission.
Applicants who have obtained their degrees from institutions that are not listed with the Higher Education Commission (HEC), Pakistan, will be required to obtain an equivalence certificate from HEC. Applicants requiring equivalence certificate(s) may do so by contacting:
The Director (A & C),
Higher Education Commission,
Sector H-9, East Service Road,
MS - PHD PROGRAM
- MS students graduating in 2017 or have graduated within the last 2 years from SBASSE with a minimum CGPA of 3.0 are eligible to apply. LGAT and SBASSE Subject Tests are waived for LUMS students who plan to continue their studies within the same Department. Application deadline for this category of students is March 28, 2017. Please visit the following link to apply for this program: https://admissions.lums.edu.pk
- MS students graduating in 2017 or have graduated within the last 2 years from SBASSE with a minimum CGPA of 3.0 applying across departments will be required to take the SBASSE Subject Test or GRE Subject Test (if available) in the subject they want to pursue their PhD in. LGAT is waived off for this category of students but they must register for LUMS SBASSE Subject Test if they have not taken GRE Subject Test. The deadline to register for the LUMS SBASSE Subject Test and submit complete application online is March 28, 2017. Please visit the following link to apply for this program: https://admissions.lums.edu.pk
- As per HEC requirements, students, once admitted, will be required to take the GRE Subject Test or NTS GAT Subject Test (if GRE Subject Test not available) if they have not done so already.
- SBASSE MS students with a CGPA of < 3.0 must take LGAT and SBASSE Subject Tests. They are expected to apply through the regular admission process. Application submission deadline for this category of students is March 28, 2017. Please visit the following link to apply: https://admissions.lums.edu.pk